The Burton 4-H Center on Tybee Island reaches more than 8,000 students and adults annually through Environmental Education and Summer Camp programs. The Environmental Education Program provides biological and environmental education opportunities for school groups and serves over 6,000 youth with day and residential education programs on coastal ecology and the marine environment. Summer Camp provides Georgia 4-H’ers a fun and unforgettable 5-day learning adventure on the Georgia coast.
The Burton 4-H Center on Tybee Island, opened in 1947, is one of six 4-H centers in the state. Situated on six acres on a tidal creek surrounded by marsh, the camp operates year-round and can accommodate outside groups for reunions, conferences, meetings and more.
By the early 2000’s, time, weather and heavy use had taken a toll on the 57 year-old camp and extensive renovations were necessary to prevent the closure of the center. 4-H alumni and avid supporters, Bob and Maxine Burton immediately offered to help with a donation to the Georgia 4-H Foundation to help upgrade the center. Growing up, Maxine was involved in 4-H in Forsyth County and attended camp at Rock Eagle, Wahsega and Tybee Island. Bob attended camp at Rock Eagle, and as a University of Georgia student spent the summer of 1968 as a counselor at the Tybee Island camp.
In 2004, the University of Georgia, which operates the 4-H program through its College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, renamed the facility the Burton 4-H Center on Tybee Island in recognition of the Burton’s generosity. Their gift, along with other contributions, helped pay for additional repairs and renovations. Electrical upgrades, new floors and wall coverings for cabins; renovation and expansion of the dining hall; and construction of a new staff house and improved teaching facilities and equipment for the environmental education program were made possible by these donations.
Burton 4-H Center
9 Lewis Avenue
Tybee Island, GA 31328
Phone: (912) 786-5534 Fax: (912) 786-9814