Camp Jekyll plays host to one of the many UGA Extension 4-H Summer Camps. Other camp locations include: Burton 4-H Center, Wahsega 4-H Center, Rock Eagle 4-H Center, and Fortson 4-H Center. 4-H Camp on Jekyll Island is a week-long experience that includes visits to the beach and many other fun and exciting activities. 4-H Camp is a memorable and rewarding experience. Cooperation and character building, along with just having a great time, are all part of the camping adventure.
Summer Camp Assignments
Each Georgia county is assigned a specific week for attending Junior Camp. This summer all weeks of Junior Camp will be hosted at Georgia 4-H at Camp Jekyll. Camp registration is not handled by Camp Jekyll staff but through your local County Extension Office. Most students attending Junior Camp have completed the seventh or eighth grade.
The Georgia 4-H Camping Website contains a helpful chart listing when your county will attend Junior Camp in 2022 and contains active links to your County Extension office to call to sign up!
Camp Jekyll will not be hosting any Teen Leadership Summits in 2022. We are unable to share about when and where these camping opportunities will be offered until the Office of Secretary of Defense approves all camps for promotion. In past years, this has been in March or April.
Check out the Georgia 4-H Military Summer Camps Page for more information.
Junior Camp Activity Highlights
– Competition throughout the week between Color Crews for the Captain’s Bell!
– Dress to impress during the end of week blow out party – the famous Buccaner Ball!
– Check out the marine animals living the center’s touch tanks while learning about Beach Ecology and climb the trees at Jekyll’s iconic Driftwood Beach.
– Explore Jekyll Island by Bike: riding along beach paths, forest trails, marsh boardwalks, and through the Historic District!
– Get Wet at Summer Waves including the Turtle Creek Lazy River, Frantic Atlantic Wave Pool, and 5 slides!
– Explore and shop at the new Jekyll Island Beach Village and Historic District Shops!
– Learn to canoe on the Tidelands Pond and explore the exhibits at 4-H Tidelands Nature Center.
– See what you can catch in water while seining the intertidal zone for fish, squid, and crabs with your fellow campers!
– Hike through the mysterious maritime forest and meet various reptiles and touch a snake, alligator, and turtle during herpetology!
– Take a trip to the beach for splash during organized beach swims!
– Have fun during Evening Rec with games such as Basketball, Volleyball, lawn and board games, dancing and more!
– With your color crew as your team, compete in the crazy Pirate Games!
– Have a beach party and build amazing sand castle creations during Sand Sculptures!
– Enjoy some delicious and refreshing watermelon and marshmallow roasting at the Wednesday Luau!
– Enjoy tasty food from the Diamondback Dining Hall!
– Take a swing and compete against your fellow campers during a round of Mini Golf/Putt Putt.
– Work with your cabin mates to earn the Clean Crab or Tidy Turtle!
– Be entertained by the counselor campfire skits and songs under a beautiful starry night sky!
– Go on a 75 minute boat ride to explore the Jekyll Creek while looking for dolphins and brown pelicans.
– Have the best week of summer ever having fun and meeting new friends!
Summer Camp Promotional Materials
– Check out our Camp Jekyll flickr page to see lots of pictures from previous summers!
– Although a little dated, be sure to watch this video showcasing many elements that make Summer Camp at a Georgia 4-H Center so much fun!
Communicating with Campers
– Please refer to the Georgia 4-H Cell Phone Guidelines for information on cell phone use at Georgia 4-H events.
– You can submit email message greetings to campers using the Camp Messaging System (please note campers will not have access to a computer to email you back!).
– You may also mail campers letters and care packages via parcel post but please be sure to place items in the mail no later than the first day of camp (Monday) to insure items arrive before campers depart Friday morning (we often have camper mail arrive after campers depart on Friday!). Be sure to include the camper’s name and County name on the address. Please adress mail to:
Attn: Camper’s First and Last Name
Camper’s County Name
550 South Beachview Drive Jekyll Island, GA 31527
Click here for the working 2022 Junior Camp Schedule (slim version)!
What to Bring/Packing List
Click here for the 2022 What to Bring/Packing List!