Poultry judging is an evaluation event in which students learn and understand standards used in poultry and egg production and marketing, and to apply the standards in a realistic decision-making situation.
During the contest, participants judge both live specimens and market poultry, identify parts of birds already prepared for market, and evaluate eggs as to their quality and readiness for market. For at least one class, typically a live production class, participants are asked to justify their placing decisions through a set of oral reasons.
Participants compare their opinion of an animal against the ideal as specified by industry experts, and learn organizational skills as they compose their thoughts into a cohesive set of reasons justifying their decisions.The skills of decision making, critical thinking, and problem solving are acquired throughout the process.
2021 Contest Dates and Locations
|April 14, 2021||Calhoun||Gordon Co. Cooperative Extension|
|April 15, 2021||McDonough||Henry Co. Cooperative Extension|
|April 16, 2021||Crawford||Oglethorpe County|
|April 19, 2021||Lyons||Toombs County Ag Center|
|April 20, 2021||Tifton||Tift County Extension Office|
The State Contest will be held on April 30, 2021 . Only qualifying teams will have the opportunity to compete.
- Participate in a community and/or county 4-H Poultry Judging Contest
- At the area contest, each county may have a maximum of 15 Junior (Cloverleaf and Junior age group) and/or 20 Senior contestants. The total score of the high three members will constitute the team score. Counties wishing to have three separate teams must designate them before the contest. Contestants from a county with less than three entries may participate as individuals.
- In the area and state contests, 4-H members will be required to judge classes as described in the 4-H Poultry Judging Manual.
- Ten minutes will be allowed to judge each class. Two minutes will be allowed to give oral reasons on the production classes.
- The winning area team will be the county whose team has the largest sum score.
- Ties will be broken by reasons scores.
Awards and Recognition
- Each participant will receive an award card and a judging pin.
- The high Junior individual at each area contest will receive an award and certificate.
- Certificates will be awarded the three highest scoring Junior teams at each area contest. The first two high Senior teams in each area contest. In addition, the along with the next four high Senior teams from the “state-at-large” will have an invitation only to the State 4-H Poultry Judging Contest.
- The top four members of the county team will constitute the team for the state contest.
- The state winning senior team will be the high scoring team at the state contest. Ties will be broken on the basis of reasons scores.
- The state top winning team agent/coach will receive funds to support travel to National 4-H Poultry Judging Contest, Louisville, KY.
- The top four members of the Senior state winning team and high individual, will become Master 4-H’ers and will travel to State 4-H Congress.
- Judging Manual
Please contact your local Extension Office for more information.