In 2002, the National Association of Extension 4-H Youth Development Professionals, National 4-H Council, and 4-H National Headquarters partnered to create the National 4-H Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame was established to recognize 4-H volunteers, Extension professionals, staff employees, donors and others who made a significant impact on the 4-H program and/or 4-H members through the contribution of time, energy, and/or financial resources at the local, state or national level. Individuals from Georgia are listed below.
Martha Harrison Jones
Percy Hunter Stone
Stone strengthened all facets of the 4-H program for Black 4-H’ers by creating a more organized framework, incorporating more leadership training for members, and introducing more opportunities competition. As a result, membership grew significantly across the state.
The State 4-H Club staff decided to consolidate the girls’ program with the boys’ program in 1933. The first State Federation for Negro 4-H Club Boys and Girls was established in August 1933 under Stone’s direction.
After the club was well established, camping became Stone’s next priority. Camp Ralstonia was opened in 1928 as the first camp built, owned, and operated for Black 4-H members. Several years later, Stone evaluated and concluded that space for camping and other 4-H gatherings of Black 4-H members was limited.
In 1939, Stone acquired property in Laurens County, Georgia to begin construction of the Dublin 4-H Center for Black 4-H members. World War II slowed the construction of the new facility, but Stone continued his effort to complete the center.
There were 50,000 Black 4-H members in Georgia by 1954. Stone retired from Extension in 1956 and moved to Washington, D.C. and returned to Georgia in 1957 to celebrate the completion and dedication of the Dublin 4-H Center.