Burton 4-H Center welcomes all students, parents, and homeschool groups! We partner with Chatham County 4-H Club to offer a monthly “Marine Science Club” (September-April) for individual sign-up as well as opportunities for organized homeschool groups to create a day program.
If you want to get notified of our current homeschool club programs, updates, and more, please complete the signup form below to be added to our listserv.
Chatham County 4-H Marine Science Club
We are partnering with our local Chatham County 4-H Club to host a monthly “Marine Science Club” for 5th-8th Graders!
Please note, it is a 4:30-4:45 drop off and check-in at the Burton 4-H Center on Tybee Island followed by 4:45-6:30 Environmental Education Program.
Program Dates / Classes
- September 20, 2022 – Beach Ecology
- October 19, 2022 – Salt Marsh Ecology
- November 15, 2022 – Shark Dissection
- December 13, 2022 – Sea Turtles
- January 17, 2023 – Squid Dissection
- February 21, 2023 – Marine Invertebrates
- March 14, 2023 – Ornithology (Birds)
- April 18, 2023 – Surf Sleuth (Seine Nets)
- *Rainy Day back-up = Reptiles
If you have any questions or want to register, please contact the Chatham County 4-H Office at 912-652-7981.
Alternatively, please sign-up in the tab above for our Homeschool listserv to receive updates on future homeschool club programs and alternative opportunities.
Want to book your own homeschool trip?
The Georgia 4-H EE Program welcomes all students, parents, and homeschool groups! We treat homeschool groups like all of our school reservations.
To determine whether day programs or residential programs are the best fit for your homeschool group, please see the considerations listed below visit our day programs and residential (overnight) program pages.
If you are ready to book, please visit and complete the reservation form on our Rates & Reservations page.
Considerations before making a homeschool program booking:
- Identify one person to be the “lead contact” on behalf of the homeschool group. The lead contact is responsible to pick group classes, collect money, arrange deposit and1 form of payment as well as other organize details and other logistics of the trip outside of our standard program.
- The minimum is 20 paying people to make a reservation. Our maximum is 156 people.
- Teaching groups are determined by overall group size. We aim to have 10-15 students in a learning group. The more students you have, the more likely we can accommodate multiple teaching groups based upon ages.
- Rates are per person (parents and students) for both day programs and overnight programs. We do not adjust rates for individuals and families who choose not to participate in all of the classes, meals, and lodging available.
- The minimum age recommendation for students is to be 5+ years old. The program is a lot of fun but can be physically exhausting due to long days and evening classes for younger students
- Reservations open 18 months in advance. We recommend homeschool groups to book during our Fall Season (August-December) as most school groups book months and years in advance for our Spring Season (February-May). Please note, availability can always change.
Other homeschool program questions?
Please contact our Environmental Education Program Coordinator for other questions.
Erine-Fay McNaught, EE Program Coordinator
Burton 4-H Center on Tybee Island
Phone: (912) 786-5534 Fax: (912) 786-9814