July 13 – 18, 2021
At the Islands Military Teen Leadership Summit, teens are encouraged to safely explore the boundaries of their comfort zone with our beach and traditional camp activities. Campers choose their own adventures ranging from science, outdoor cooking, shark dissection, kayaking, herpetology, and fishing and nets workshops. Also, all participants experience “island life” through a marsh boat ride, seining, biking, and leadership workshops. On Thursday teens travel inland to experience the world-famous Okefenokee Swamp either from a propelled boat or canoe. Youth will experience the Beach and its many surrounding ecosystems during the 6-day 5-night experience.
Parents will be responsible for:
- Getting their teen to/from the airport
- All baggage fees
- Spending money for snacks or souvenirs
- Meals during airline travel
Everything else – including airfare, transportation and all meals while at the Summit, camp registration fees, and lodging are paid by a grant through a partnership with the University of Georgia/Georgia 4-H. The Summit is a result of a partnership funded by the Department of Defense between the Office of Military Community and Family Policy and the USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture through a grant/cooperative agreement with Purdue University.
Applications for 2021 Teen Leadership Summit Adult Leaders are now open!
Volunteer Camp Dates: July 12 -18, 2021
Volunteers at youth activities could find themselves assisting with registration, setting up snacks, refreshing craft supplies, or even leading an activity about a topic of their interest at a youth event. This area also includes serving as an Adult Leader for one of our summer camps. A general call for volunteers will be sent out when there is a need for any youth event. Sign up for our Mailing List to receive event and camp volunteer opportunity updates in the future.
Interested adults (ages 21+) should complete the following form with a wet or digital signature. Forms can be submitted with Adobe Reader, scanned & e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. All adult leaders will be subject to a background check.
- Adult volunteers must be at least 18 years old. Priority is given to applicants over 21.
- All Volunteers must complete the 2021 Military Camps Volunteer Application
- All Volunteers must complete a Volunteer Agreement
- Volunteers working with youth must complete a Screening Application, supply 3 non-related references, pass a background check, and complete the online training, Georgia 4-H: Working with Youth & Managing Risk.
- Volunteer drivers must pass a Motor Vehicle screening (included in volunteer application).
To best protect volunteer’s sensitive information UGA requires volunteers to personally enter their sensitive information into a secured system. With this system, volunteer applicants will receive an email from SterlingONE and/or HR TruCheck providing instructions on accessing a secured portal to enter their information. Requested information will include volunteers Social Security number and driver’s license. The applicant will authorize their consent of background investigation online when providing personal information. UGA HR will continue to approve the background investigation once the investigation is completed and a UGA Military Staff person will inform volunteers when further training or information is needed. If you have questions throughout the process, please contact us and we will be happy to help.
Please Note: If using a digital signature to complete the UGA Application for Screening, all form fields must be completed before placing your signature. Any changes made after signing will not be saved.
The newest version of Adobe Reader DC can be downloaded for free at: get.adobe.com/reader
- Go to the Georgia 4-H Camp & Event Registration Site
- Create a user account — the account creation procedure is a 3 part process:
- Select ’Create Account for Parent’ from the left hand menu and fill out the form. You will receive an email with an account activation code.
- Click the link included in the email and paste the code into the form.
- Enter your preferred password
- Select the appropriate event.
- Be sure to click the insert link on the left hand menu to get to the application form.
- Also, note that more than one participant can apply using the same account.
Camp Sample Schedule
Military Dependents whose parents currently serve or are retired from military service. Civilians working on an installation also can have their children apply to attend. Youth must be 14-18 years age while at camp. Therefore, if a teen is 13 now, but will be 14 on the first day of camp they can apply to attend camp. Contact the Military 4-H Partnership with eligibility questions.
Hoke Smith Annex
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602