Florida Adventure Camp
June 17-28, 2013
Primary activities for the camp are kayaking, snorkeling, hiking, camping, caving, teambuilding exercises, and basic survival skills. Working in small tactical teams, youth will accomplish mutual goals that enhance teamwork and leadership skills.
Journey of a Drop of Water: This high adventure camp follows a drop of water 800 miles -- from Northwest Florida to the Florida Coasts. Explore caves, snorkel crystal clear blue springs, kayak through cypress swamps, hike and airboat through the Everglades. While doing all of this, you're witnessing firsthand the amazing journey of Florida's underground water system.
This 12 day outdoor camping experience will be based at may of the most beautiful Florida State parks. 50 Campers will develop highly trained teams, learning how to work together and acquire outdoor skills that will assist in completing a once in a lifetime Special Operations style final mission.
Because of the nature of the camp, older teens (16-18) may receive credit for community service for their high school or college requirements. Boy Scouts may receive credit for multiple outdoor merit badges.
History of Florida Adventure Camp: This is a mobile adventure camp that has been operational for 10 years. The programs in the high adventure camp teach outdoor skills and leadership tools to our military and reserve teens. The convoy consists of a rental tour bus; chuck wagon; supply wagon, hauling all of our gear; and a mobile command post to oversee program flow. This program has been conducted for National Military Family Association (Operation Purple), the Air Force, and now the Extension Military Adventure Camp initiative. The program was recognized as the 2012 Honor Award Winner in the Character and Leadership Development category for Boys and Girls Clubs of America.
Who Coordinates This Camp: This camp is administered through a partnership between the University of Georiga 4-H Program, Hurlburt Field and Eglin AFB Youth Programs. The leaders complete 4-H Volunteer background checks and follow UGA 4-H guidelines and procedures. Many of these 4-H leaders are also operating within their job responsibilities as Youth Programs professionals at Hurlburt Field and Eglin AFB.
Please review before applying:
- This is a high adventure camp that travels all over the state of Florida. It is a physically demanding camp.
- Deadline to apply will be May 1, 2013
- The application process is completely online. All parts of the application must be completed.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to confirm receipt of complete application package.
Teen Applicants Application Instructions
- Go to the Georgia 4-H Camp & Event Registration Site
- Create a user account -- the account creation procedure is a 3 part process
- Select 'Create Account for Parent' from the left hand menu and fill out the form. You will receive an email with an account activation code.
- Click the link included in the email and paste the code into the form.
- Enter your preferred password
- Select the appropriate event.
- Be sure to click the insert link on the left hand menu to get to the application form.
- Also, note that more than one participant can apply using the same account.
- There are 36 available slots.
For more information, please contact:
Casey Mull or a 4-H Military Program Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org
Airfare, transportation while at the Summit,
camp fees, lodging and meals are covered by funding provided by the Office of Secretary of Defense - Military Community and Family Policy. Parents
will be responsible for getting their teen to/from the airport,
baggage fees, spending money for snacks, souvenirs and meals during